News: Police in Lenasia South avert more taxi violence related murders with the arrest of seven suspects and recovery of a loaded illegal firearm

PARKTOWN – As police respond to incidents of taxi violence following five deaths in three separate incidents yesterday in Olievenhoutbosch, seven suspects have this morning (Tuesday, 03 December 2019) been arrested in Lenasia South, while police recovered a loaded firearm and found almost 50 cartridges following a shooting incident involving taxi operators.

Preliminary reports suggest that between 07:00 and 08:00 on Tuesday morning, an unconfirmed number of taxi operators were on the Golden Highway (R553) near Migson Manor when unknown suspects traveling in a double cab Toyota bakkie and a Toyota Avanza allegedly fired shots at the operators.

Police were patrolling nearby hotspots as per the instruction of Gauteng Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Elias Mawela to mobilise maximum resources, and responded to the shooting, cornering four suspects at one house in Mount Fuji Street in Lenasia South after the suspects had allegedly abandoned the Avanza. One illegal firearm with live rounds of ammunition was recovered.

Police arrested two more suspects who had remained in the Avanza, while the seventh suspect who was the driver of the charcoal Toyota double cab was also arrested.

No other injuries have been reported.

While combing the scene, police recovered just under 50 spent cartridges, confirming that more than one firearm had been utilised.

A case of attempted murder and possession of illegal firearm has been opened, pending further investigations which are underway as police work around the clock in an effort to round up those behind the violence that has erupted since Monday morning in Olievenhoutbosch. The arrested suspects will appear before the Lenasia Magistrate Court in due course.

“We trust that this arrest will send out a strong message that police are committed to ensuring the safety of the residents and commuters in Gauteng, said Lieutenant General Elias Mawela, echoing the call for restraint and no violence.

Source: South African Police Service