Western Cape Government condemns burning of train coaches in Retreat

The MEC of Transport and Public Works, Bonginkosi Madikizela and the MEC of Community Safety, Albert Fritz, condemn in the strongest terms the burning of a motor coach last night at Retreat station.

One of the motor coaches of a train stationed overnight in the Retreat yard was destroyed. The fire was reported at approximately 10pm last night. No injuries were reported relating to the fire.

MEC Madikizela said, Next week Wednesday, 22 January I will be meeting with Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula once again to find a solution to this ongoing saga. Since my appointment last year, I committed myself to work with Minister Mbalula and Prasa to deal with the challenges facing our rail system. It is always a concern that passengers especially school children, who have just returned to school, have to be inconvenienced by challenges facing the rail system.

MEC Madikizela added, I commend the City’s Fire Rescue Service and Metrorail response teams for their swift response to the fire. I have been alerted that an investigation is being conducted to determine the cause of the fire. However, I am deeply concerned by the frequency of these fires which endanger commuters’ lives, and contribute to increased congestion on our roads as commuters are forced to make use of taxis and busses, which are intended to be feeder forms of transport from and to trains.

MEC Fritz said, It is essential that those responsible for the fire be brought to book. For that reason, I have reported the issue of police inefficiency in investigating train arson to the Western Cape Police Ombudsman, Mr JJ Brand. I further alerted Mr Brand of this incident. Anyone with information relating to police inefficiency in investigating train arson is asked make their submission by 31 January 2020.

Source: Government of South Africa

Western Cape Government condemns burning of train coaches in Retreat

The MEC of Transport and Public Works, Bonginkosi Madikizela and the MEC of Community Safety, Albert Fritz, condemn in the strongest terms the burning of a motor coach last night at Retreat station.

One of the motor coaches of a train stationed overnight in the Retreat yard was destroyed. The fire was reported at approximately 10pm last night. No injuries were reported relating to the fire.

MEC Madikizela said, Next week Wednesday, 22 January I will be meeting with Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula once again to find a solution to this ongoing saga. Since my appointment last year, I committed myself to work with Minister Mbalula and Prasa to deal with the challenges facing our rail system. It is always a concern that passengers especially school children, who have just returned to school, have to be inconvenienced by challenges facing the rail system.

MEC Madikizela added, I commend the City’s Fire Rescue Service and Metrorail response teams for their swift response to the fire. I have been alerted that an investigation is being conducted to determine the cause of the fire. However, I am deeply concerned by the frequency of these fires which endanger commuters’ lives, and contribute to increased congestion on our roads as commuters are forced to make use of taxis and busses, which are intended to be feeder forms of transport from and to trains.

MEC Fritz said, It is essential that those responsible for the fire be brought to book. For that reason, I have reported the issue of police inefficiency in investigating train arson to the Western Cape Police Ombudsman, Mr JJ Brand. I further alerted Mr Brand of this incident. Anyone with information relating to police inefficiency in investigating train arson is asked make their submission by 31 January 2020.

Source: Government of South Africa